Friday, July 18, 2008

Stupidity Costs $70

So...a funny and sadly true story. When we moved into our house in December the water had been shut off in the house to prevent the pipes from freezing. Well, we moved in and turned the water on to the house and in the basement there are a few levers that go to the outside hose faucets. We turned those on and water would start pouring into the basement. We figured it was a broken pipe and shut that water off. Since we didn't need water outside until we had a yard we figured we would just wait until Summer to fix it. Right now we are having our yard put in and they needed to test the sprinklers. Emron said we needed to have a plumber come and fix the pipe first. I call a plumber and they came out that morning. I took them down into the basement and showed them how the water comes into the house. We turn the knob and water starts pouring into the basement - then the plumber turns another knob just below it and the water stops! It was just a drain they installed so they could remove all the water from the house when it was vacant! The company charges $70 just to come to the house - so that was my $70 down the drain! I told the plumber that he could go in his truck and laugh at me for paying him to turn a knob! I felt like and idiot.

6 comments:

Ashley Shae said...

Harm that is too bad...but kind of funny at the same time. If your toilet is ever running, call me, cause I only charge $50. :)

Darci said...

Who would know that though?? I always call my mom and then she tells me what to do and she is free. Luckily I have her and Dad to always know what to do. Can I give you her number and you could always call her and ask she would love to hear from you.

Harmony said...

Darci- is your mom doing alright?

Darci said...

She is doing good. Atleast that is what she tells me, I will find out more when we go up to see her in August. She just has her check-ups every 3 months with lots of tests. I think she is up for her next one soon. I let you know if anything is amiss. Thanks.

Norway Folks said...

Hello from Norway - such a fun family.So glad you're happy and all is well. Great post!

Adrea said...

That is like the electrician I had come to the house. Our garage light wouldn't work and it turns out it just needed a different light bulb. Apparently the base of the light bulb wasn't long enough and didn't connect in with the socket. Thankfully, there was a bunch of other things that the electrician needed to fix, so it wasn't $70 down the drain for me. But I did feel dumb about just needing to change the light bulb in the garage.